ever further stealth

ever further stealth

Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The camera technique

The camera technique (objective observation of the self, like having a camera pointed on yourself) is a tool for practicing mindfulness, to be aware of the present moment. By practicing observation of my thoughts and actions in each moment I have begun to understand my self more clearly. I can see the benefit of care-full observation in order to act appropriately in each situation, with the ultimate goal (without wanting) of being the most useful I can be for others.

When I am listening to someone, I practice listening, focusing my attention on them. When I am driving, I am focused on driving, when eating, I focus on eating. When I am contemplating, i focus on the object of contemplation.

Anywhere my thoughts might drift during these moments, i observe them, and then patiently return to the present. I say patiently because there have been times where i get angry or frustrated with myself for losing focus, which is silly; to become excited that i am doing it right or to get nervous that i am doing it wrong is wasted energy. The middle way is patient, not strict or overwhelming.

After all, a lifetime of habitual daydreaming does not change overnight. Mindfulness must be made habit through consistent practice. Tom describes a tap dripping water into a cup: if the dripping is consistent, the cup will eventually fill up (with awareness) but if there are only a few drips here and there, the water has time to dry up before accumulating.

When I left for vipassana 7 weeks ago, Tom told me to not worry about the form but to remember the tool. The tool is mindfulness, and by practicing consistently we are basically meditating all day long, everything becomes a meditation. The present moment is where we must exist, because it is real, unlike the past or future.

I can safely say that I have noticed progress in my practice in these past seven weeks. My quality of thoughts is much higher, meaning they are not the usual daydreaming sort that i had become used to. I am more genuinely thinking of the others around me, and seeing the importance of caring for others and being cared for: life is so much better this way!

And as Tom often answers many questions: "it depends on your mind." Mindfulness helps keep my mind clear, so that I can depend on it, and in turn, I can be depended on by others.

I am very grateful for these last 2 months and will be leaving Baan Kiri in 3 days with a new set of eyes and a new purpose and the knowledge thAt it is up to me and only me whether this purpose gets fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment