ever further stealth

ever further stealth

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yet again, life ceases to amaze. . .

After leaving Jindy the plan was to go wwoof somewhere near Melbourne until my parents arrived; to save money which was already running low with more than 2 months to go, but also just to wwoof as it has been something I have been wanting to do for ages...willing workers on organic farms, wwoof.org if you don't know....stay on someone's farm/property for x amount of time, work a bit each day, and in return get housed and fed...simple. I consider it a free education among other things. I grew up in compact suburbia, so tho I might seem like a hippie grass feeder dirtball, I am actually just a product of blue collar over commercialized "society"...my fate has been pulling me a different way for the last 4 years, so I have been keen to learn different ways of living (living in a van, living on a bicycle, getting everything for free, etc.) Annnnyways, there is an online bulletin of hosts who need people so I scoped it and contacted this guy who had a private stretch of beach just a walk of woods away from his self sufficient eco-property...too good to be true, yup...he said he didn't have anything until October...a few days later, one day before leaving Jindy I saw a fresh post from a Dutch family outside Melbourne who needed wwooffers for odd jobs on their property.
That property is where I am now, sitting by the fire, drinking a beer, on the MacBook Pro, connected and not all at the same time....I have been here for about 10 days (Hitched all the way from Jindabyne to Packenham in just 6 rides, 2 really long ones, and a night camped out on the beach at Lakes Entrance) The family is Dutch, and emigrated here 2 years ago to provide a better life for their three young daughters and themselves. In a nutshell, I have started learning a little Dutch, built a greenhouse, planted oak trees, chainsawed tree limbs, made a compost pile, fed the horses, chickens, and pig several times, made many fires, shared many many almost too many (never!) delicious meals, shared stories and laughs, went to Melbourne's Queen Victoria Market, and visited one of Australia's oldest farm properties, Gulf Station...all in ten days...oh I went to the 6th grade school play, and got to witness Monday morning assembly at the girls' primary school on Footy dress up day. Like a sponge soaking up the endless moisture of life's nutrients with no capacity to overflow, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment